Windows Server 2012 to 2016 Upgrade Guide -How To
Note the following general guidelines for supported paths:
- In-place upgrades from 32-bit to 64-bit architectures are not supported. All editions of Windows Server 2012 R2 are 64-bit only.
- In-place upgrades from one language to another are not supported.
- In-place upgrades from one build type (fre to chk, for example) are not supported.
- If the server is a domain controller, see http://technet.microsoft.com/library/hh994618.aspx for important information.
- Upgrades from pre-release versions of Windows Server 2012 R2 are not supported. Perform a clean installation to Windows Server 2012 R2.
- Upgrades that switch from a Server Core installation to the Server with a GUI mode of Windows Server 2012 R2 in one step (and vice versa) are not supported. However, after upgrade is complete, Windows Server 2012 R2 allows you to switch freely between Server Core and Server with a GUI modes. For more information about these installation options, how to convert between them, and how to use the new Minimal Server Interface and Features on Demand, see http://technet.microsoft.com/library/hh831786.
If you do not see your current version in the left column, upgrading to this release of Windows Server 2012 R2 is not supported.
If you see more than one edition in the right column, upgrade to either edition from the same starting version is supported.
Upgrade Windows Server 2012 to Windows Server 2016
1. Download Windows 2016 ISO from Microsoft site
2. Mount Windows Server 2016 ISO on Windows 2012 R2 Domain controller.
3. Log in to Windows Server 2012 and plug the media file (DVD, Flash memory, etc) to the server. Open the file explorer and double click on the DVD Drive to run the Windows Server 2016 setup.
4. Select Download & install updates to let the installation go on smoothly and mark, I want to help make installation of Windows better. Click on Next button.
5. Select an edition of Windows Server 2016 which meets your organization requirements. Also, in the future you may enlarge your network and need more roles and license support for your network computers. Click on Next button.
6. Read the notes and license terms. If you don’t like, clicking on Decline button, you can go back. If you agree, click on Accept button.
7. If you choose the edition same as the edition you used currently, you can keep your apps and files. As mentioned before if you don’t choose the right edition you can’t keep your apps and files. Select Keep personal files and apps if you’re using the same edition or select Nothing to erase everything. Then click on Next button.
Installing Windows Server 2016
7. The Windows Server automatically checks your system and finds if your server is compatable, so just click on Install button to start the installation.
Be patient It will take some time to install Windows server 2016 on your existing system. there will be a few restarts until the installation completes.
7. Specify Keyboard setting. Keep Default for English. Click on Next to continue
8. Read the ELA license terms on Accept button.
9. The user will default to Administrator. You will be required to set a complex password (a password composed of lowercase letters, uppercase letters, numbers and symbols) and reenter you password. Then click on Finish to conntinue.
10. Click on Ctrl+Alt+Del buttons and sign in with the password you had entered before in previous section.
Welcome to Windows server 2016. You have upgraded Windows server 2012 to Windows server 2016.There are a lot the latest improvements in Windows 2016 Server Release.
BTHHD -Upgrade Windows Server 2012 R2 to Windows 2016 Upgrade Guide.
NLB Solution Windows 2016 Step by Step Guide.
Windows 2016 Server Upgrade
Server role upgrade and migration matrix for Windows Server 2016:
Windows Server 2016 and Microsoft Server Application Compatibility:
Windows 2016 Download Link