What is MS SQL Server
Microsoft SQL Server is a relational database management system developed by Microsoft. As a database server, it is a software product with the primary function of storing and retrieving data as requested by other software applications—which may run either on the same computer or on another computer across a network (including the Internet).
Microsoft markets at least a dozen different editions of Microsoft SQL Server, aimed at different audiences and for workloads ranging from small single-machine applications to large Internet-facing applications with many concurrent users.
- .Net 3.5 SP1
- .Net 4.0 for SQL Server Install. Net 4.0 during the feature installation step.
- Windows PowerShell 2.0
- Minimum 6 GB available hard disk space
- Minimum 4 GB of memory
- Minimum 1.4 GHZ CPU
- Download MS SQL from MS
Pre Installation SQL Server 2012.steps ,
Insert the SQL Server 2012 installation DVD. Before you start to install the SQL server, install the NetFx3 feature, otherwise you will get error while the installation is in progress. To install the NEtFx3, type the following command in command prompt as shown in the snapshot below. Make sure you have inserted the installation media.
Install and Configur MS SQL Server 2012
- To start the SQL server installation, click the first option after selecting installation tab from the installation center as shown below. Since this is going to be new SQL server installation select the Setup option.
2. Click Installation —->New SQL Server Standalone installation or Add Feature to an existing Installation.
The installation will then check all the pre-requisites that are required to install the SQL server. If everything is fine, you will see green checks as shown below.
4. Input Product Key- and Click Next.
5. Check both EUL Check Box.-To Accept EUL. and Click Next.
6. Product Update- Keep Default – Checkbox Include SQL Server product updates.
7. Install Setup Files- will initiate Support Rules Set Pre-Check.
- Fusion Active Template-ATL
- Previous releases of SQL Server 2008 Business Intelligence Development Studio
- No SxS Install with SQL Server “Denali” CTP0
- Consistency Validation For SQL Server Registry Keys.
- Computer domain controller
- Microsoft .NET Application Security
- Windows Firewall.
8. Setup Support Rules -Pre Check Results. If everything is green-Click Next.
*The installation will then check all the pre-requisites that are required to install the SQL server. If everything is fine, you will see green checks as shown below. *
9. Setup Role- Select Default – SQL Server Feature Installation and Click Next.
10. Feature Selection- Database Engine Services, Analysis Services, Reporting Services-Native, Management Tools-Basic-Management Tools-Complete.-Click Next.
Shared Feature Directory: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\
Shared Feature directory(x86:): C:\Program Files(x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\
11. Installation Rules- Setup is running rule to Pre-Check installation Process will be blocked.-Click Next if everything is green.
*The installation will then check all the pre-requisites that are required to install the SQL server. If everything is fine, you will see green checks as shown below.
12. Instance Configuration- Specify the name and instance ID for the instance of SQL Server. Instance ID becomes part of the installation path.-Click Next.
14. MS SQL Server Configuration- Keep Default -Specify the service account and collation configuration -Click Next.
MS SQL Windows Services
SQL Server Agent
SQL Server Database Engine
SQL Server Analysis Services
SQL Server Reporting Services
SQL Server Browser
15. Database Engine Configuration- Specify Database Engine authentication security mode- Administrators and data directories.
a. Select Window Authentication mode or Mix mode,
Please note recommend adding local administrator and define AD Security Groups.
under the Specify SQL Server administrators-Click Add Current User, Add- Pull from AD Domain.
16. Analysis Services Configuration – Specify Analysis Services server modes, administrators, and data directories. –Add Current User and Add defined. AD Security Group. Click Next.
17. Reporting Services Configuration- Specify the Reporting Services configuration mode.
– Install and Configure and Click Next.
18. Error Reporting. Keep Default and Click Next.
20. Ready To Install- Click Install.
21. MS SQL Installation Complete Summary –Click Close.
MS SQL Server Management Studio (SSMS) Overview.
SSMS provides tools to configure, manage and administer instances of Microsoft SQL Server, bringing together a range of graphical and visual design tools and script editors that simplify working with SQL Server. In addition to simplifying SQL Server tasks, SSMS maintains a single, integrated environment for SQL Server Database Engine management and authoring.
Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio’s features include Object Explorer, which can view and manage all objects in a SQL Server instance; Template Explorer, which builds and manages files of boilerplate text that can be reused to speed up query and script development; and Solution Explorer, which builds the projects used to manage administration items, such as queries and scripts.
SSMS Tool is located at C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server\110\Tools\Binn\ManagementStudio\ssms.exe
Automate MS SQL Server VIA Powershell
1. Method 1.
Scripted Powershell Automate Deployment Engine (SPADE)
Download the latest SQL Spade
Review Folder Setup to ensure your SQL Source files are arranged properly
Review Config File Setup to ensure your settings apply to your environment.
Open Start-Sql.ps1 in PowerShell ISE as Administrator
Configure Runtime Options
Install and Configure SQL Server using PowerShell Desire State Configuration (DSC)
Tutorial Video Desire State Configuration
This above automate methods are proof of concept efforts , and should be treated accordingly. I’d had used this software in in my lab and will proof concept testing in my organization next few months and saved hundreds of hours in the process, but as you know every environment is different.
I hope your able to find the information valuable for automating SQL Server installs
MS SQL server
MS SQL Server 2016
MS SQL Authority
MS SQL Server 2012
Install SQL Server 2012
Automate MS SQL Installation Method 1.
SPADE -Scripted Powershell Automate Deployment Engine
Automate MS SQL Installation Method 2.
Install and Configure SQL Server using PowerShell DSC